Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Bahamas wrap-up

Hey all,

Just a little wrap-up and I wanted to share that a couple of people saw me on TV for the Wake Forrest game.  That's right, Jim Caldwell, international TV star in the house and you all knew me when.  On top of that I am in the print media!! http://www2.kusports.com/photos/galleries/2013/nov/28/ku-basketball-v-wake-forest-battle-4-atlantis/ Bottom of the page (sorry for the stupid google quiz you have to answer before it shows you the full page). Photo of the crowd with me looking stoic and awesome (and balding) in the center bottom of the photo with Tam next to me cheering his head off while blocking his face with his ever present camera and his wife, Sophia, right next to him smiling and clapping (they are on my right...or to the left when looking at the photo).

The trip back was long but worry-free for the most part.  We were told multiple times to get to the airport 3 hours before departure and, of course, we made it through security in about 45 minutes.  I can see where it could have been worse: we made it through before a large group of people hit security including the Wake Forrest basketball team who was also on our flight to Charlotte.  Those huge dudes were sitting coach although one fan/booster/something associated with the team gave up his exit row seat for the tallest dude on the team.  Is that impermissible benefits?  With the NCAA as screwy as they are, it probably is.  Tons of families with kids on that flight.  So much so they asked if there was a group of 3 people in a row that would be willing to change to exit row seating (I guess to accommodate people with kids).  What do you know?  Tam + Sophia + me = 3 and we were all in the same row.  We humbly agreed to make that sacrifice.

Anyway, ate some lunch in Nassau airport, flew to Charlotte and only had about an hour layover there...with the gate lady threatening and cajoling everyone with overhead baggage to check it since the flight was sold out and then threatening all the later people with forcing them to check it.  In the meantime, of course she was letting everyone else on with baggage clearly larger than the outline of acceptable sized carry-on that was sitting right in front of her.  We were zone 5 (the last to get on) and only had backpacks so it was no big deal, but she called for zone 5 and then said "after the first 10 people, I am going to have to make you check your carry-on baggage".  I wonder if they can really enforce that.  What if you said "no"?  There was still plenty of room in the overheads (of course) so I don't think they did, but I was already on the plane by the time that threat would have been carried out.

We only had a scheduled 45 minutes in Phoenix for the last connection and, of course, the plane got in a little late, took a while to taxi and then took an hour (estimated, might not be accurate) to get the door open once we did get to the gate.  Luckily we landed at A11 and our connection was at A1 so a quick jog got us there as they were calling for our zone.  There were some on our plane that had to get to B gate or beyond.  And that is one of the things I don't like about US Airways (current holder of crappiest airline in the world in my book).  This super tight connection was offered on their website, they do not hold the plane even though their records should be showing us coming in on their airline and finally, they close the door to the gate 10 minutes before takeoff so even if you get there before departure, if it’s within 10 minutes of that departure, you are screwed.  This happened to me at Christmas one time and I then sat there staring at the plane sitting at the gate for the next 30 minutes before it finally pulled away.  Again, we made it (and our bags did too) this time so I guess I can sort of lighten up on them…but for sure, I don’t book through them if I can help it.

We landed in Portland around 11 and with getting luggage, the car, and the drive back made it home around midnight…but make it home I did.  Good trip overall.  The diving around Nassau wasn’t the best, but that shark dive was totally worth it.  Seeing basketball that close was pretty cool and KU took 2 out of 3. Good times.

Until next time, friends, let’s keep it our time, the people’s time!
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment